the langham cricket pavillion,
The Langham Pavilion was opened on the 19th April 2012 by the England opening cricket batsman, Alistair Cook MBE.
The School Pavilion has evolved several times from the original Cattle Shed structure adopted as a changing room in the latter part of the 19th Century. This latest addition adds a new extension to the curtilage listed building and reconfigures the interior to create a new refurbished pavilion.
The design of the new extension is intended to be a respectful addition to the existing building. It borrows its form, style and materiality from the existing building. The curved brickwork form relates to the wing terraces added in 1936, whilst the scale and massing ties in with the proportions of the original building. The extension has been designed so it sits symmetrically on the southern façade when approached along the car park, but it is set far enough back that when viewed from the front will not interrupt the existing symmetry of the existing building.
The new extension and stair location has enabled the internal spaces to be re-configured allowing views from the entire first floor over the cricket square. Separate areas for the display of the School’s team honours boards show off the great sporting heritage of the School in a room containing a curved walnut drinks bar.